Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Reflections on Art

After the presentations in the morning, we all trundled off to Yorkshire Sculpture Park to go have a look around and to see if we could go get inspired for next week when we're starting our creative process for our still as yet unknown product.

If I'm honest, I didn't find that much of the phsyical objects in the gallery all that inspiring. Many people know that I'm not much of an arty person, and I do find it difficult a lot of the time to appreciate art. What Julian said on John Browne's blog is bang on; I see art a lesser discipline than design. I find it annoying that a lot of art doesn't appear to have a purpose, and I find it hard to appreciate things that don't appear to have a purpose. I'm definitely more of a technical person than an arty person, which is probably why I enjoy design so much.

Today did amplify this point that I don't like much art, and I feel it's something that I should work on to appreciate more. I'm quite pompous when it comes to most art and I just flat out refuse to accept it for what it is, so in future I'm going to be more open with my feelings towards such things. Especially with the next couple of weeks coming up, I'm going to make sure that I try to appreciate art a lot more than I have done in the past.

After saying all that, I'm still quite creative and I enjoy creative endeavors, so it's probably quite strange for me to say that I can't appreciate some other people's creative outputs. I think I'm going to be able to let myself go quite easily, and I can't wait to just be creative for a couple of weeks and really let go.

When it came to us taking pictures of the day, I wish we would have had a couple of more hours to take some more pictures because we'd started to get inspired towards the end of the day. Some of the pictures we came up with will be useful for the next few weeks.

I'm going to upload some of our pictures from earlier today later on tonight.

1 comment:

Richard said...

I have similar feeling to you about art, especially art with no purpose. I suppose this kind of art is trying to get you to question why, and for you to invent your own conclusions.

I am also looking forward to the next part of the assignment, I think I am going to start with design magazines and get inspiration from them as well as the sculpture park images, this should get me in the right frame of mind to let all my creativity out over the next few weeks.