Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Website Goals - Portfolio Site

Accessible on a variety of user agents
Including PDAs, mobile phones and internet browsers (IE 5+, Firefox 2, Safari 2, Opera 9+) to make sure that my portfolio is accessible and viewable by as many potential employers as possible. It is also important that I create a good print stylesheet to allow people to print out my portfolio if they so wish. I will ensure I meet this goal by testing my portfolio in the internet browsers listed and a variety of other user agents. Because many mobile phone browsers are completely different, I will test my portfolio on a Sony Ericsson P1i, Samsung E900 and an iPod Touch for another portable device.

To produce a website that is appealing to the target market
Target audience: designers, design agencies and other creative industry employers. I will ensure I meet this goal by posting my portfolio design on a variety of design forums for design professionals to give critique on. I will ask them to specify whether or not the site appeals to them, and will consider this goal as being met if the majority of design professionals asked declare the site is appealing.

To employ specific SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) techniques to achieve high results in SERPs (Search Engine Results Page)
High results in SERPs specifically for Craig Burgess, Craig Burgess Design, Craig Burgess Graphic Design. Search engines to optimise for to include Google, Yahoo and Ask. I have added this as a goal to ensure that when potential employers have received an eMail from me or heard from me, the highest link in the SERPs would be my portfolio. To ensure I meet this goal, I will check my website weekly after launch to check my positioning.

To produce a portfolio with a CMS (Content Management System)
This goal is to allow me to easily update and populate my portfolio without risk of affecting any of the mark-up I have written. This has a secondary purpose; I can use my portfolio as an example of my skills with PHP and MySQL.

To achieve level A conformance as specified by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 as set by the W3C
This is to ensure that my portfolio will be accessible to as many potential employers as possible and so I can target more specific details such as creating effective semantic mark-up and clear ALT and TITLE tags.

6 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

From the goals that you have set yourself, you will certainly show any potential employer that you have the skills to be an asset to their team. You obviously have the knowledge required to plan a website and the work that you display on your portfolio will prove this.

SEO has started to crop up a lot in Job listings as a beneficial skill to have. Therefore learning about it now and implementing it on your portfolio is a fantastic idea!

Chris Towell said...

1. Sounds like a very good goal, but isn't testing on standard browsers a given? I'm not referring to the phone/PDA side as this could be very useful if a potential employer was surfing on his/her phone.

Would you make all your portfolio accessible? And would you make a separate stylesheet as you have to take into consideration the screen size on some devices.

2. To be honest I didn't think this would be a strong enough goal (even though I have it too) but I think you have managed to justify it and make it attainable.


3. SEO seems to be a valuable resource to know about as more and more clients want their website at the top of the almighty Google. It will be interesting if we all did this goal Googling "Web and Print Designers" It would be a very competitive race to number 1!

4. Isn't this a bit easy for you? You already know how to use CMS system's! I think this should be removed!

Only joking it appears that knowing this is going to be extremely handy to a designer and a client as everybody wants to update their websites themselves (Clients). Thinking about it though you're making one for iMe aren't you?

5. Ah the dreaded Web Accessibility Guidelines which have obviously been written by a genious as no one can fully decipher all of them. How clear ALT Tags are easy to create though as are TITLE (Dreamweaver makes it easy to add them) which I never use (well design side) I'm a proper coder! Code view all the way...

Scott Dunwoodie said...

Can you be more specific in your "specific techniques" at attaining higher SERP's ? (Search Engine Results Page)

I realise that these techniques are highly secretive within the industry, but revealing one would satisfy my curiosity.

I have done so in my explanation of a similar goal which I have set for my own website.

Chris Towell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Towell said...

There is a topic on Das Forum about SEO Scott. If you logged in you might be able to find it. (joke)

Sorry forgot to add HTTP:// to the link.

Richard said...

I think the second goal will be extremely hard to quantify. You say “I will ensure I meet this goal by posting my portfolio design on a variety of design forums for design professionals to give critique on.”

What would you do if they gave you a long explanation about what they like, dislike, how it could be improved etc. Would this mean they like or dislike the site when all you would be really looking for to meet this goal would be a yes I like it or no I dont?