Sunday, October 21, 2007

Evaluation of Second Round of Interview Questions

After struggling the first time around to get into the interview mind set I made sure that I tried a lot harder to answer the questions a lot more realistically this time around. I believe I achieved that this time around, and think I answered the questions a lot better.

Undoubtedly I struggled with the first question the most. Although I wouldn’t have had the chance to come back to the question in a real interview situation, I had to come back to it with these questions and leave it until last. This was the only question that I couldn’t answer instantly, but I do believe if I would have been in an interview situation I wouldn’t have had a problem with this question.

I do think that I could have answered the second question better though. After re-reading the question I noticed that I did not mention the client in the answer, which is probably the number one way to measure any product. If was to answer the question again I think I would have mentioned the client, and I need to remember this important point for the future.

I’m not sure whether or not I should have mentioned in the criticism question that I used to take criticism badly. To one employer this may have shown an improvement, but to another employer this could have shown a weakness. I’m of the school of thought that it’s important not to show any kind of weakness in an interview, and to not show bad pieces of work in your portfolio to show your improvement. The employer is employing you from where you are at now, not from where you’ve been. So if I was to answer this question again I would have probably left the first paragraph out. It sounds too negative.

I feel that I answered question four well. I kept it relevant to industry, whilst at the same time reinforcing another skill that I have. If I would have been asked in an interview I would have probably waffled on for a bit longer than in my written answer, but I think I got the perfect length here and I should try and make sure I answer questions in a similar fashion if another similar question arises in an interview.

I also think that I picked three balanced questions that could challenge the employer with, especially the accessible websites question. This is an important issue to me as it is something I have become quite passionate about. Asking questions like this would allow me to get a feel for what kind of company I may be working for, and to make a considered choice to whether or not I would actually want to work for them if I would have been offered the job.

1 comment:

Richard said...

I think it is a fairly valid point that you didn’t take criticism well in the past. The fact that you have received criticism and learnt how to handle it and turn it into something you can use is a good quality and something you can’t really be taught, it can only to be gained with experience.