Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Do you have any further questions?

Describe yourself in three words.
Friendly. Passionate. Conscientious.

How would you measure the effectiveness of your interactive media product?
I would first measure the effectiveness of my interactive media product against any project goals that were set before the product was created, and then I would continue to test the product during production. Close to the launch of the product I would make sure that my website meets the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 to the best of my abilities.

An effective interactive media product to me is one that is created with clean code, fits the purpose of its target market and above all; is usable.

How do you handle criticism?
When I first started in the industry I found it very difficult to handle criticism. It is – without a doubt – the most difficult skill to master. At first I found it difficult to understand that it wasn’t a personal attack on myself and they are just telling me what they thought of my work.

Now however, I handle criticism very well. When somebody gives me constructive criticism I ask them to explain exactly why they don’t like the said feature or design and ask them to offer ways they think I could improve it. Being able to take feedback and criticism is one of the single most important areas of the design industry, so I take criticism in my stride.

Describe a difficult problem you’ve had and how you’ve solved it.
About two months ago I had to create an interactive media product using Actionscript, but I had extremely limited experience with it. At first I tried creating the product just using Flash on the time line, but it became apparent quickly that this wouldn’t be possible.

I then had to go away and learn Actionscript to the best of my ability so that I could create the product. I started some Actionscript training and created the product within two days. This was easily the most difficult challenge I’ve faced to date in my career and the product I am most proud of.

Describe how you fit into a team.
I work just as well in a team as I do independently. I have a friendly, enthusiastic personality which allows me to fit in to any team effectively. My previous experience as captain of my local American Football team for many years built up my confidence as a team player and also as a team leader.

I work well in any role in a team and greatly enjoy working as a team towards one goal.

Do you have any questions?
What are your policies on producing accessible websites?
Do you ever pitch for new work?
What are the opportunities for career progression in your company?

6 comments:

Chris Towell said...

I originally saw criticism as a personal attack too. I think I'm on and off depending what type of mood im in sometimes it can affect me and sometimes I don't mind it getting criticised. In the end its feedback and you can't please everyone.

You have some good questions there as well I wouldn't have thought to ask about pitching for work as this shows you're willing to help the company develop increasing the client base.

Marc Pugh said...

I too would be offended if someone mocked my design work, although I would probably get over it quick enough. It's not a nice feeling knowing someone hates your work. Especially if you love that particular piece.

I guess this is something we can only learn over time.

Mirhad Kalabic said...

Lads, I think were all starting to appreciate the fact that we should never take critisism personally, which is a good thing because thats probbably the most important ingredient to the sucess of any of us in the future.

DREW said...

I agree with you that it is an important thing to be able to take critism. I think it is most important espicially if you are going to be working with clients, It would be completely unprofessional to take offence in front of a client so I think it is best that we get used to this whilst we still study.

Scott Dunwoodie said...

Criticism can be difficult to take sometimes, it depends on who is offering the criticism. If it is someone you respect then you will take it well and act accordingly.

If however, the person being critical is someone you don't see eye to eye with things invariably go wrong.

This is the true skill to master, 'biting ones tongue' is the phrase that springs to mind where diplomacy is key to handling the situation.

Mark Torrington said...

In my experience criticism becomes even more difficult when the client cannot explain why they don’t like something. At this point, you feel frustrated and have to take the brief again. I deal with many clients who have these characteristics and after a while you can read their minds, quite scary really.